Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Repurpose

I needed actual shelves for my room. My first idea was to look at the big name stores for ideas for pretty shelving and brackets. I saw some things that looked pretty good but soon found out that they were not standard. I would essentially be locked into this purchase; If I needed anything I would need to go right back to them.

I have noticed in my travels (around NYC) things being used for a purpose that was not originally intended. I have seen doors used as tables, mason jars used as glasses and puppies used as handbags.

Nowadays its all about the vintage clothes and the rustic look. People pay a high premium for stuff that was owned by people a long time ago. I can see some of the joy that can be derived from owning something that has been on the earth and used by someone decades before. I plan on keeping all my clothes and passing them down to my grandkids in my will.

I love the planet and all so I know it is actually better in most cases to reduce and reuse than it is to recycle. In that spirit I decided to do some repurposing of my own. My first stab at repurposing was with the shelving in my room. Floors hold things and that's what I want shelves to do so why don't I used my floor as a shelf. I can't keep everything on my floor, so I thought to use excess flooring in my storage area for shelving.

Before I knew it the shelves were up and I was trying to figure out what else I could do with the extra flooring.

Shelving




Under bed storage


No comments: