Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dreams

Since I was a little boy I wanted to be a scientist. I recall watching sci-fi shows with my pops before there was a channel dedicated to it. These shows all had some sort of evil genius putting their knowledge of "science" to do harm to others. Usually with the goal to conquer the world in some way. By the end, the evil person's dastardly plan would be thwarted by the do-gooder. The destructo-robot would be engineered and repurposed into a super building-bot.

After entering college I realized I had no desire to actually build a robot or a futuristic propulsion system. I do enjoy solving problems. I found my bit of the problem-solving pie in the puzzles posed by programming hardware and software. From the instant I got my hands on a microprocessor board I was hooked. Assembly language made so much more sense to me than Steinbeck or F Scott Fitzgerald.

Assembly was just a gateway into Hardware programming languages like VHDL and Verilog and soon I found myself chasing the dragon. Poor choice of words. Putting together an embedded project is like getting two siblings who are always at odds to get along. Whenever something odd happens they always point to each other.

I've finally arrived. I am now an engineer, actually I am between jobs right now. On the 26th of this month it will be super official; one of my dreams will come true. I will be an engineer. A software engineer to be specific.

Please do not pinch me.

1 comment:

L BO said...

BULLSHIT MAN!!
I haven't even finished reading the post yet, but if you don't build me a robot out of bamboo floor boards soon, I'm going to be even more pissed than I've been over you refusing for the last 8 years to build me a robot to bring me waffles!