Sunday, September 07, 2008

Who cares about politics?

I've been inspired by KoolRedd to write a some about US politics. My interest in politics and government did not start yesterday, but I was inspired to let loose my thoughts by his first posting. My earliest recollection of politics was from my father. He espoused many views from the corrupt government and entrenched power found in the islands to the corruption and entrenched US power structure.

My own coming of age occurred on one September morning. All the lessons of the past came in direct contact with my present. When I went to class that morning I was just another college kid trying to get by. When I got back to the apartment I was greeted by the stunned look on my roommates faces and the images on the TV.

That fateful morning was an awakening for me, not a redefinition of me. I say this to be clear that I am not a person who sees the entire world through the lens of that day. Rudy Giuliani used that day to redefine himself; that day he decided to use one of his greatest failures as a launching point. What sort of person claims any know-how when their principal decision put cops and firefighters at risk during a disaster?

First I will attempt to describe the basics of US politics and politics in general. Perhaps I will then tackle the word "change" and how we can really get change. If we are looking for "change" then what are we changing to? KoolRedd has laid down the challenge; I plan on answering.

No comments: