Thursday, November 12, 2009

I and Love and You

I've re-entered the dating scene after what has been a long hiatus; actually I am not even sure that I can consider what I used to do as dating. So far I have met and gone out with two women. The first one was one and done; the story of the second is still being written.

The first thing I've realized in this newfound dating life is that my lifestyle is not conducive to meeting eligible women:

  1. I have weird hours
  2. I'm about 60 in my head
  3. I'm quite timid on first contact

The weird hours are an obvious detriment. I end up being a complete bore as I wake at 5am and am unable to effectively communicate after 9:12pm. I'm home at 4:30 most days at which point I never feel like dragging myself to a happy hour and such. Half the time I feel like strangling someone who cut me off or people who park like assholes on my block.

I'm obviously still a spry 28 year old but which 28 year old uses "spry" to refer to themselves. I'm pretty steady and reliable and I tend to carry myself that way. My first choice of a car was a sensible hybrid, I only considered spinners after I saw my cousin's fisher price first Escalade. I like a good drink in moderation - I'm getting bored describing how boring I am.

I've always joked that I would take Martha Stewart over Alicia Keys, but, I am beginning to think I may like older women; someone more my speed. I would come home after a long day and I would call Martha over for a glass of red wine. We'd have some small talk about politics, food and the undue corporate influence in our society and both of us would be tuckered out at 9 or so.

The last and certainly not the least of my problems is that I am shy on first contact. I also can't understand rejection or being rejected. I am sure that I am better than 98% of the bozos out their yet I have experienced rejection. What is worse is the type of rejection I've been party to.

I feel like I have been dealt the weirdo card a couple times. Kinda like the pimple you find on your nose and ignore with the hope it just realizes it isn’t welcomed. It would have been easier on me if I got a call that went something like this: "I realize that you're a great guy and you would be wonderful for me, but I'm whack. I don't want you to waste anymore of your valuable time on a lost cause like me. Goodbye." It doesn't have to be word for word but you get the idea.

I've been given lots of advice along the way. The best has been to regain my confidence. To do that I must come to the realization that I am the most interesting man in the world. I started off that quest by finding interesting things about myself, everything, and then breaking some of my tendencies. I started with a trip to a semi local bar and am trying to actively engage people I meet at the green market. I am sure that this is like anything else, it takes work. Eventually I will reach the point where I find someone I can say those words to "I and Love and You."

4 comments:

L BO said...

yo i can't wait to give you more advice, like...girls like it when you talk about toy battleships a lot.

Unknown said...

Or they like it when you have strong body odor.

Also how does Larry always comment first, do you call him immediately and go, "Yo! I posted on the blog!" and he runs to his computer and read it. And by call, I mean walk upstairs and tell him.

What happened to Mr. "Confidence is sexy" - which is totally inappropriate for a student to have on a sign to his physics intern while the intern is nervously trying not to freak out...

Anyway I'm rambling.

koolredd said...

Yo sun, i got you. I know mad girls who be like. "oh he's cute, if only he was a foot taller". I figure all you need is some platform shoes...o yea, don't go slipping up and busting out the wine on the 1st date again

L BO said...

oh damn i forgot bout the wine buying. yea, you played yourself. stop ruining it for the rest of us!