Tuesday, November 16, 2010

St. Lucia '10 Day 2

Waking from my mosquitoed, stagnant air, hell hole was almost as painful. I felt violated and downright icky, I needed a shower to remedy my condition. I celebrated the new day with a breakfast of champs: banana, mango and st lucian white bread.

With proper food in my system I was able to take the first step in "Operation Mail Postcards," I purchased several different ones from a mall. I soon conquered the market aisles to acquire local confections whilst visiting and petitioning friends of the family for treats in exchange for my presence. The fun and frivolity was only broken when I found myself at the shop of one of my grandma's friends who had fallen on hard times. Her pride would not allow her to say why her shop was without electricity.

After returning to my Aunt's place the next stop was the beach; the turqouise waters stretched as far as the eyes could see and the beach ent on forever north and south. The waters were cool and calm, the perfect way to wrap a day. Tried out a restaurant called "Delirius" to close out the night but found it lacking authenticity. My Aunt Tina has more local connections than my mom and promised me a tour of the market at its height.

I walked around the corner from Delirius to a small stand in order to get grilled bake for local infusion but they had run out. My Aunt could see people gathering just down the street and suggested we check it out. We found out that it was a band preparing to play local music. Once the music started the crowd was up from their seats and wining their cares away. I was merely an interested observer with a small piton in hand.

No comments: