Wednesday, July 04, 2007

St. Lucia Day Four

The trip to Babonneau was even more daring than any of the previous rides we have taken. Not only is it located in the country-side it's also about 600ft above sea level. I took pictures but don't have the means to download them at this point. I tried my best to capture the steep close quarters found over here. It's nearly impossible to navigate when combined with the break-neck speeds and the foot traffic. Thankfully we had someone from the village of Babonneau who really knew the terrain.

I cannot accurately describe the splendor of the rain forest. The plethora of plant and animal life is just too great and my knowledge far too little. Our guide was fantastic though. He had all the facts and figures to provide us as we traveled through the differing strata. I learned that most plants can double as aphrodisiac and baskets. Others are less useful and are used to tie hogs or cure the common cold.

Next up was a short trip to the beach where I realized that I was incredibly out of practice with swimming but fortunately did not come to that realization the hard way. In addition to this I also learned:
1. contacts do not like the water
2. while under water you should hold your breath
3. sugar cane is also tasty at the beach
4. walking barefoot not as hard as it looks

The last adventure for the night was dinner with some close friends of the family. We were treated like royalty with another full spread set up for us. No delicious good were spared in the making of the meal. At the end there were several island fruits and desserts for the taking.

2 comments:

Keysie said...

“He had all the facts and figures to provide us as we traveled through the differing strata. I learned that most plants can double as aphrodisiac and baskets. “


What a combo!

“3. sugar cane is also tasty at the beach”


what does it taste like? I’m very interested in how it's (um)prepared and/or presented… would you chop some off with a machete and just chow down or is it like a coconut where you gotta crack it open to get to the yummy goodness inside? :)

HumanDynamo said...

Pictures will tell the tale