Sunday, July 01, 2007

St. Lucia Day One

American Airlines blows. I don't mean that in a nice way either. I had to get to the airport no later than 4:30am just to take off at 8am. Due to "mechanical" error we chilled on the runway for over an hour. This wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't for the fact that we had a connecting flight in San Juan. We were supposed to connect at 11 instead we were at the airport at 12:30pm. Hooray for totally sucking. Now don't get me wrong, it's a lot better to find out about mechanical problems on the ground but it's also their job to check themselves before people board.

I suggested exploring San Juan to Lbo but instead we ended up exploring the terminal; gate 12 was my favorite.

Rewinding for a bit. I was apparently stupid and brought water with my carry-on. It then became property of the United States Government. Also 6 Oz of toothpaste is way to much to carry on a plane. I offered to squeeze three out but the guard didn't think that was legit. He did inform me that "I didn't pass the bar but I know a little bit" and then referenced the old 80s brick instead of a VCR trick when i noted the bottle was unopened. There was a bit of a commotion after passing through the checkpoint with TSA and cops and some dude who apparently got tired of being checked or something.

anyway...

When we got to the island I declared nothing at customs and made my merry way to the outside where I found my long lost brother. He was far more interested in the stuff I was instructed to bring than the fact that he had never seen me in his life. After taking a close look at him I wasn't all that interested either.

The roads are crazy and we almost crashed. This is all explained by the fact that they decide to drive on the other side of the street. I am not sure which convention was decided up first but clearly one of us is wrong.

The hotel is small and friendly. It's also well air conditioned and clean. The food at the restaurant is the bomb. So far we've ordered: garlic shrimp, coconut shrimp, seafood Accra, plantain, duck something or the other wrapped in roti and chicken something else. All were delicious. There is also a great rum punch over here. Lots of rum.

It gets quite dark here once the sun goes down. I've been spoiled by the light pollution so prevalent in the city. The walk over to and on the beach was real nice except for the slippers. There were tiny crabs scampering about the shore and lots of of bigger ones just chilling as the sea washed up on them. The water was nice temperature as it rushed up on the shore and onto me feet. I wanted to jump in but realized the folly of that idea immediately.

Today I will be chillin' with some fam and then head over to the market to get some goods. O and I introduced Lbo to sugar cane and now he is nuts about it.

1 comment:

Keysie said...

“American Airlines blows. I don't mean that in a nice way either.”

When I first read that I was like “nice way??” and then almost immediately said “ohhhhhhhhh…” lol

"Also 6 Oz of toothpaste is way to much to carry on a plane. I offered to squeeze three out but the guard didn't think that was legit."

i'm trying to imagine how that went down...