Monday, December 08, 2008

Marshmallows

I popped into whole foods the other day and picked up a box of hot cocoa mix and marshmallows for consumption in the early morning when I get into work.
I like sugar.
I'm a big fan of Swedish fish.

LBo makes a good Tilapia dish.
I am not sure that I like marshmallows made of fish gelatin

This is a real marshmallow (Althaea officinalis). Extensive research reveals that it is a plant that is native to Africa; used for medicinal and decorative purposes. It was a delicacy for the Romans, eaten by Egyptians and Armenians to name a few.

The extract from the plant was originally used as a gelling agent in making the marshmallow treat; This is where the name of the treat comes from. Apparently, marshmallows now are usually held together with getlatin of some sort: Beef Bones, Beef skin or Fish.

Can we go back to the real thing?

1 comment:

L BO said...

well researched, dork! just kidding. thanks for the shoutout, my tilapia dish brings ALL the ladies to my yard.
get the marshmallows from city bakery. they are incredible. except, they only exist in nyc, not njjc. sucker.