Monday, June 26, 2006

Boo Club

"Noodle Incident"...

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0627/p01s01-usju.html

Everyone knows I am an avid reader of the greatest work in literary history; From "Hop on Pop" which had a surprising ending to the funny pages which tend to be pretty darn funny. I will never forget the "Noodle Incident"... boy o boy. It seems that everyone is doing this reading thing now. Everywhere I go I see someone with a book or a newspaper. Most people are reading the daily rags like the Metro or AMNY; others read trash like the NY post and still there are all these books on a range of topics like getting fit for the summer and eating for the winter.

Oprah can do it...

Now that I have reached a ripe old age of 25 I've decided that I have studied enough to be able to make recommendations to people. That's right people, it's a book club. I mean Oprah can do it why can't I? Completely rhetorical. Such a good word. Anyone else know any good words? I actually think I prefer rhetoric over rhetorical but that really isn't the point. It's not such much a book club but just that I was introduced to a wonderful book and would like to sing it's praises. I suppose it becomes a club if I do this often.

I was recently given "Race Matters" and I must say it has left an impression on me. It wasn't that anything in there was particulary new or earth shattering but more so that everything was linked so nicely. Some people would think that i do not understand that race matters as I have a group of friends from highschool which is basically equivalent to the United Nations. (Though the only person who isn't an original American is me.)

Group Picture of my HS People


So I get distracted easily...

Really I do. Which is why it is quite important that this book is a fast read. Sadly there are no pictures but he tackles issues in a manner which is accessible and can be understood by everyone. It's not a book that focuses on the negative aspects but more so the history from all points of view. He offers solutions to every identified problem as he hopes one day after working through all of these issues race will no longer matter. Take a seat in your favorite book store and thumb trhough it. Tell me what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giving a gift to someone who is extemely thoughtful in giving gifts is a very hard task!!

Your announcement of your up and coming book club has delighted me....I am absolutely thrilled that you like the book!! Originally I said let's do this book quest together, but you sent me solo on what I thought to be the hardest task ever. (Always presenting me with a challenge, but that's good.) For our next book we will go book buying together! Who knows what political, sociological, literary delights we will discover when two minds and eight eyes (get it?) look together? :)

Anonymous said...

who da freak is who in that mini-photo collection you have there? OBVIOUSLY shiva's the cherokee (such a coincidence! b/c yest. i was reading greeting cards and there was this one that said "big chief" and i thought to get it for shiva.. then i thought -- n/m what i thought). then there's -- oo beastie boys is dj?? darth mail is phantom? and there's some lego men? my brain hurts.. oo ice cream will make it better.....

Anonymous said...

wat da freak IS that? a yellow flower? a shell? oo is it shell of a janet??? what is that? i'm yellow... that's about it. mm i think i'm getting sick of ice cream.... =\

HumanDynamo said...

I've added useful links for all the pictures except phantom and DJ cause it's obvious