Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Few Good Movies

...and probably a lot of bad ones.

I recently acquired a subscription to Netflix; it was something I needed. I dread the moments when someone asks: "have you seen?" This usually prompts a response such as "I have seen parts" or "Nope"

So Netflix is now manna from heaven. I will sup on the greatest movies of our age. I will likely be able to cycle through a week. Without further ado.

Netflix Round 1 part 1: Traitor

Maybe I should have read the jacket or paid closer to the previews but I was not at all prepared for this movie. I assumed that I was in for an action thriller but instead Traitor proved to be drama considering the grays. Where does duty to country ones country, religion or self lead you to?

Don Cheadle showed his acting chops by playing this figure who lived between two worlds. Torn by duty and belief he was allowed to give both sides their just due. While I liked this struggle, I was a bit disappointed in the resolution. The bus driver did nothing to deserve such a violent and untimely death.

*************************************
Netflix Round 1 part 2: The Assassination of Jesse James by that Coward Robert Ford

The movie is twice as long as the title but doesn't feel like it. For me the movie was a study of a mythical being at the end of his life slowly descending into madness as all great figures do near the end. (See Biggie and Tupac) Definitely enjoyable but don't watch if you don't have time to devote to it or if you are feeling particularly paranoid.

************************************

Netflix Round 1 part 3: Burn After Reading

Burn before seeing. This movie was like the Seinfeld of movies; it's a movie about nothing. It's great if you like that sort of thing but just "eh" if you don't. Things happened and I laughed; other things happened and I found them interesting. I did find myself focusing on Brad Pitt as I had just watched him as Jesse James for about 3 hours. It was a relief to see him up and about and having fun after the previous image of him laying on ice. I can't say "Burn After Reading" was a bad movie it just didn't go anywhere.

1 comment:

L BO said...

false
all your ideas are 200% wrong.
Burn After Reading was good, but I do see your Seinfeld point.
Jesse James movie lasted for 12 days. And I already wrote a review on it. So, there's that.
http://whitejezus.blogspot.com/2008/05/assassination-of-my-attention-span-by.html
BOOOSH!