Monday, February 15, 2010

Dispatch From Honduras: Day 1

This feels just like it used to when I worked in jersey and lived in
BK. The crack of dawn in another cold month as if the rest were just
dress rehearsals. The 4am alarm is like old hat and the calls from the
warm covers are barely distinguishable muffle by my luggage. This time
is different because Ia am off to a beautiful land and people; a long
way from the stripmalls and boredom of Parsippany.

Everything goes as planned and I find myself at lee's a half hour
early.Our merry band was soon off to Newark Airport where we dined on
the finest overpriced chain food. The second act came in the form of a
continental breakfast of egg and cheese and fruit. I was in and out of
consciousness for the entire flight.

A cab picked us up at the airport and we began our trek. We stopped off at a local joint, there was no menu, they just brought out food:
1. A spicy soup with jicama
2. some rice and beans
3. fried chicken
4. Thin strips of steak
5. Bread fruit

The ride from San Pedro was one big game of chicken on one lane roads
carrying two-way traffic. It was like the morning or afternoon drive
through any busy metropolis with road work, insane pedestrians and
crazier drivers.

Ceida a port city north of San Pedro was the destination for the
night. Hotel Ceidà, a 5 story hotel, which made motel 6 look like a
resort living was where I laid my head down for the night. The TV came
fully loaded with cable. I got to see Nate the Great win his 3rd
straight dunk contest.

Content with the only honor bestowed on a Knick these days I drifted
off to bed. A few hours later a foreign feeling came over me, there
was a chill in the air. I woke to the great delight of still having
most of my organs, to the reality of a 50 deg night, I wept a little
as I was forced to cover-up with a blanket.

--
http://humandynamo.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Keysie said...

i'm looking forward to "part 2"...way to set the scene dude

L BO said...

Even in Honduras you stay tuned to the Knicks. Some might call that obsession...