Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dynamo in an adventure with the kayak

My early teen years I went to camp and always looked forward to the "white water" rafting. I felt like a kid again, trying to explore the limits today. The house is on a beachfront , however, the deepest water I have encountered is about 3 feet. There is a reef that protects the land from most of the extremes the sea has to offer. For some reason the stormy weather felt like the perfect time to make advances to the reef.

I observed the waves before as they crashed along the reef line. The rain had swollen the bay enough when combined with the high wind gave rise to some waves on this side. I paddled out on 3 seperate occassions to try my hand at riding waves. I had varying levels of success; my kayak turned over twice.

My third time out I sought to explore yet another part of the bay. I went east from the pier and started paddling. While I was out there the waves became a bit rougher, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was fixated on the huge waves crashing on the reef; I found the rocking from the waves was relaxing.

I looked back to land and realized that i wasnt where I expected to be. My daydream like state and the stronger currents brought me out farther than I wanted to be. I dont believe I was ever in danger, but, I came close to it. When I got to land I saw the group talking to a local. She had become worried about my course and wanted to be sure I knew what i was doing. Just last week someone was sucked out to sea and needed to be rescued.

2 comments:

L BO said...

yea good job there, world's strongest swimmer. you could always float back to land, after eating every single squid in the ocean.

Claw said...

OK... Getting sucked out to sea is NOT allowed! ;) Ocean currents are crazy.