Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vida Estreña

Each day we have a chance to do something great. Some days we choose to live that potential on the couch. Other days we choose to fill serving, not for ourselves but, for the betterment of our common man.

I have experienced many such days in this Island off the coast of Honduras. I have seen the faces of children who hold the possibilities of the world before them. Who knows which of them could make an imprint on this world or even a single soul. Right now they are just kids hitching a ride to get to school.

My eyes needed a checkup as things were out of focus. I needed a new prescription and have been working my way back to 20/20 the last 1/2 a year. What I have opened my eyes to through this last week isn't revolutionary though my words make it seem so.

This is the sort of things that poets and songwriters live for. This is the reunion with a friend you never knew you had. This is the chance to see the world through the eyes of a kid; where pools compete with turquoise blue oceans and bedtimes are still hurdles to overcome by any means. This is taking the chance and living this one day like none before or after matter. Most of all it is: doing when you don't have to, doing when you don't want to, or sometimes not doing at all.

***
Today was something out of a movie or a dream. It seems that the writers were determined to write twist and turns to keep things interesting. Every good movie needs a chase scene so the hero can show his cool under pressure. A good movie needs complex characters on the ropes with nothing to lose. Every good movie has a love story at its center to make the audience care. Most of all it needs to feel complete while leaving some things to mystery.

Life has a strange way of working things out; Humans have a strange way of complicating life.

2 comments:

L BO said...

"I went to Honduras. I almost got killed by the undertow. I met a chick at a gift shop and she bought me chicken nuggets."

I just ghostwrote your story. Then I ghost-rode the whip.

Claw said...

HAHA! Larry's got it!