Saturday, August 30, 2008

The eXperience

I went to see Dark Knight in IMAX yesterday; It was my first IMAX viewing of a major motion picture. I think I've seen a couple of shows at the Museum of Natural History concerning solar systems or dragons or dinosaurs or some other fable.

The 39 story curved screen is kind of intimidating for someone new to the game. The worker at the door barked out instructions to get high and to the middle for the best viewing. I could do high but only arriving 45 minutes before showtime meant that the middle was gone. I was geniunely concerned that my eyes would not be able to compensate for the enormous screen. There was also some concern that without optimal arrangements the curvature of the screen would warp the image.

I was thrilled to find that everything was all good when the movie started. I was thrilled to be taken away by the movie without another thought about IMAX. There was too much to take in to compare how well this would fair on a regular screen. The joker was licking his lips, blowing things up and causing a ruckus all about the place.

No comments: